April, 28th – 2023


1. Chamber of Deputies considers social media regulation an urgent matter

On Tuesday (25), the Chamber of Deputies approved a request to discuss the bill to regulate social media and content platforms as an urgent matter. The legislation, known as the “Fake News Bill,” establishes rules to hold tech companies responsible for what users post online.

The bill gained traction after supporters of former president Jair Bolsonaro attempted a coup by invading government buildings in Brasília on January 8th. Attacks in schools that were organized through social media channels have also prompted political leaders to consider the matter urgent.

Congress is expected to vote on the bill by the end of next week. While members of the public, the press, and other organizations are calling for approval of the bill, big tech companies have requested a more in-depth discussion on the issue.

G1: Câmara aprova urgência de projeto que cria regras de combate a fake news e texto pode ir a plenário
Câmara dos Deputados: Projeto das fake news tem urgência aprovada e irá a voto na próxima terça

2. Ministry of Finance announces a series of measures to facilitate credit

The Ministry of Finance announced a series of policy measures aiming to boost the credit market.

According to an official statement, the goal is to ease access to credit and reduce interest rates for companies and citizens.

According to the ministry, it is necessary to introduce measures to tackle barriers and inefficiencies in the credit market, protect capital investments, and improve the work of financial institutions that support the banking and capital markets.

The economic team has sent bills to the National Congress and is supporting other bills currently being discussed in order to ensure the program will proceed.

Ministério da Fazenda: Medidas de Crédito são encaminhadas ao Congresso Nacional

3. Banks have invested R$36 billion in technology in 2022

A study by Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV) reveals that Brazilian financial institutions have invested R$36 million in technology in 2022, up 18% from 2021.

Drawing on information from 198 small and medium-sized banks and states, the report projects that investments will grow even larger in 2023.

The study also revealed that over half (63%) of the money directed towards IT was related to expenses while the rest (37%) represented direct investments in the sector.

Valor Econômico: Bancos investiram R$ 36 bilhões em tecnologia em 2022, alta de 18%, informa FGV

4. Inflation rate preview at 0.57% in April

IPCA-15, the index used by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) to calculate the preview for inflation rates, is at 0.57% in April.

These results show a drop in comparison to March, when IPCA-15 was at 0.69%. The cumulative inflation rate for 2023 is currently at 2.59%.

In the last 12 months, IPCA-15 registered a 4.16% increase, which is expected to drop. This is the first time since 2021 that the index is below 5%.

G1: IPCA-15: prévia da inflação fica em 0,57% em abril, ainda pressionada pela gasolina
IBGE: IPCA-15 foi de 0,57% em abril

5. Members of Congress open CPMI to investigate January 8th invasions

Senator Rodrigo Pacheco, who is president of the National Congress, authorized the creation of a Mixed Parliamentary Inquiry Committee (CPMI) to investigate the invasion of government buildings in Brasília on January 8th.

The CPMI will include senators and state representatives, and they will have their own investigative tools.

The administration and the opposition are working to nominate members of Congress to the CPMI. Administration allies hope to place the blame for the attempted coup on former president Jair Bolsonaro, while the opposition wants to investigate Lula’s ministers who did not attempt to control the invasions.

Senado Federal: Pacheco lê requerimento e CPMI dos atos antidemocráticos será instalada